There is nothing more wonderful, than what it feels like to be in the presence of such beauty, wisdom and grace.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

X - I gotta FEELING - X

I'm sailing a ship on a lake that never runs dry.

Considering my birthday is so close, i'm writing in my blog each day. Another stunning day on the coast with a safe and quick drive to my hairdressers to get my hair done - finally! Nothing feels better than getting your hair freshly coloured, cut and blow dried! mmm... and when there's a cupcake to devour whilst there, what could have been better!

I had an interesting day, to say the least... spent the afternoon with mum for lunch (nachos, coffee, freshly squeezed pineapple juice) and a walk around pacific fair. Then, to my complete and utter surprise i was deeply hurt by one of the people i love most. This made last nights conversation cross my mind. Isn't it interesting how people perceive us based on how little they know us, by our age and what we do. Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups as they say in the film industry, and it applies to the world as we know it. I was told last night that i was very '20.' hmm.. how was i exactly meant to take that? Very '20' by looks? or just the way that i am, and act? Am i naive? no. Juvenile, no. Do i have a lot more life experience to be had? Well, that's a no brainer, because all of us have been brought up differently, are from different cultures and have led unique and interesting lives.

Those of you who know me, know that i am very 20 in terms of age. However, emotional IQ is something i've learned over the years. My interests, background, and experience so far has shaped who i am today and its the ideas of ancient historians, philosophers and writers i seek. I learn about the people from the past, to understand people of today. Ive met quite a few individuals who are 25 and older who show jealousy and discrimination. They lack courage and strength. I don't try to be anyone but me, however i'm not a little kid and i stand up for what i believe in. I'm a loyal and trustworthy daughter, and friend.

This makes me wonder if people truly understand emotions and what emotional intelligence is. Emotions are relatively simple to recognise on the surface; a facial expression, a tone in ones voice etc. but recognising 'whats going on,' on a deeper level takes an understanding beyond basic human intelligence. We all know what emotion is, right? Perhaps not, as consulting the dictionary presents a not-very-helpful definition of the term: "an affective state of consciousness in which joy, sorrow, fear, hate, or the like, is experienced, as distinguished from cognitive and volitional states of consciousness" (Random House Dictionary of the English Language, 1973, p. 467) Now, i'm not saying i know the 'be all' and 'end all' so to speak of emotional intelligence, but i have a good understanding thus far of people and those around me. Emotion is distinct from cognition (thinking) and volition (will, or motivation).

I'm not going to sit here and tell everyone what emotion is, how to understand it and how to be a 'good' person. Its something we are constantly learning everyday but frankly, i simply want people to step back and take a look in the mirror at themselves and think about how they react to certain situations, decisions and so on. If we learn to understand ourselves better, life takes on a whole new level. We understand others and we can put certain practices of emotional undertanding... for example: empathy, into our families, relationships and our work. I understand me (to an extent) and it helps me understand you.

No comments:

Post a Comment