There is nothing more wonderful, than what it feels like to be in the presence of such beauty, wisdom and grace.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Off the Mat...

When moving into the practice of yoga, its important to understand the stretching and breathing process. In so many types of fitness training we adopt the mentality "no pain, no gain", however for yoga, we must relax and move slowly through our stretches as we are more likely to damage something with this attitude. We need to adopt a softer, more relaxed approach to stretching as its more beneficial to our bodies. When we move into a stretch our muscles automatically tighten to resist potential damage to our joints. (kind of like doing something you've never done before- you approach it apprehensively, being cautious of the unknown.) This process lasts only about 18 seconds, so there is no rush. You take 5 deep breaths, and the muscles start to adjust and relax. Relaxed muscles stretch well and safely and our minds must be fully focused.

Now, I understand that for most people the practice of yoga isn't something they are interested in but for myself, yoga makes my body feel alive yet relaxed and energised. I studied classical ballet for 12 years and also within that time did a variety of other dance forms such as jazz, tap, contemporary, pointe, modern, modern jive and so on. The way my body felt after all those years of dance was amazing. My muscles and ligaments were loose but refined, my body was toned. This is what i miss and yoga makes me feel like that again and its a good feeling. Stress is a big factor in our busy, modern lives and anxiety can build up if we don't do something about it. Sometimes all it takes is a bit of exercise such as hitting the pavement 30mins a day, talking to a therapist or seeing your girlfriends. Or perhaps, maybe a bit of everything including yoga. 

I have a tear in my right hip flexor and tight hips in general and I also suffer from lower back pain and the doctor has stated it could be from ballet. After doing yoga for 6months and pilates every now and then, it felt alot less constricted and i wasn't limping as much. I'd like to get back to that stage, where my hip doesn't seize up and restrain me. "You've done it before, you can do it again."

Today i made a list of self affirmations to promote courage and strength in everything i hope to do and to help see myself for the better.

I do deserve to be happy and successful
I have the power to change myself
I can forgive and understand others and their motives
I can make my own choices and decisions
I am free to choose to live as i wish and to give priority to myself
I can choose happiness whenever i wish no matter what my circumstances
I am flexible and open to change in every aspect of my life
I act with confidence having a general plan and accept plans are open to alteration
It is enough to have done my best
I deserve to be loved. Everyone deserves to be loved.

This is something that applies to not only me but all those around me. Life gets tough but makes you stronger every time it kicks you down and you come out fighting. I'm not trying to say that my life is perfect atm, or that yoga is going to 'fix' me or that im living in sheer bliss because who is? I'm trying to turn things around for the better, make myself healthy, push myself to be a better person and continue to learn and grow as a human being.

We shouldn't wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions but so what. Get started now, i mean this minute, because its better than starting tomorrow. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, self-confident and successful. You are the embodiment of the information you choose to accept  and act upon. To change your circumstances, you need to change your thinking and subsequent actions. With a little help from my friends and family hopefully i'm doing it. I guess in 6months time we will see. So how is yoga going to help?

Yoga gives me a sense of awareness to listen to my body and the way it moves. It relaxes my mind, body and soul so therefore this is an important step to my healing process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment