There is nothing more wonderful, than what it feels like to be in the presence of such beauty, wisdom and grace.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Re-energize and Re-boot

Life’s little mysteries are those that make each of our lives interesting and unique. It’s not as easy as it seems but we should embrace the happiness and the moments we feel good, focus on the good things in our lives and ‘re-energize’ and ‘re-boot’ after times of emotional upheaval and disturbance. It’s never any accident to stand-alone and there is no ‘quick fix’ to being stress free without a worry in the world. Even so, we try our best with what we have and what we know.

Today marks the mid-week of my second week at university and already I’m noticing how much time management plays a big role in getting things done. I’m working three days a week, studying at class three days a week, studying outside of class hours, spending time with my family and friends, enjoying alone time and exercising at the gym. 

Today I wrote this in my entrepreneurship lecture – right so I know I should have been concentrating, well I was, honest but I was up to date with all the readings and knew what he was talking about and needed to get these thoughts down. Anyway, we were talking about the advantages of being means driven rather than goal driven in terms of effectual entrepreneurship. This isn’t a business blog or one about finance yes, yes I know but late last year I had these kinds of considerations in my head. Id dream of this and that, write down my goals, plan out my life ahead but this lecture pushes me to ask myself ‘why bother anymore?’ Our lives change each day and we don’t know what is going to happen tomorrow, 5 days from now or 5 years from now. Heck I don’t even know what’s going to happen in the next few hours. I have a plan and as we know plans can change within a heartbeat. We can predict the future we want, set goals: business planners do it all the time but what do we do if it doesn’t go to plan? I could have all intentions to go to work tomorrow and be run over by a car walking to the gym this afternoon and lay in hospital tomorrow morning, not able to go to work. Okay, so maybe it’s a little extreme yet we just can’t predict what’s going to happen to us. We dream up all sorts of imagined ends of where we want our lives to lead. Have a think about it like this though. This is how my lecturer explained it in class: you can have all the pieces of the puzzle knowing the finished picture, or you can have a ‘crazy quilt’ where pieces are added together as you go along and you don’t know what the final product will look like. To me, this is exactly the map of our lives. So what do we do? Set goals, yes, but accept uncertainty and embrace surprises along the way. Don’t get too discouraged and give up at the first hurdle of failure. When we work with our strengths without overcoming weaknesses first, we get a head start on what we want to achieve. Put simply, entrepreneurs don’t shy away from uncertain situations; they take whatever’s thrown at them with their heads held high and use it, making something else from that situation of uncertainty. When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment